Established August 27, 1856

For the 2018 tax year, we collect for the following jurisdictions and the 2018 rates are set at: Jack County 0.425847/County Special 0.110306/EKWD (Jack County parcels only) 0.022690, all of Perrin-Whitt CISD (including properties located in Parker and Palo-Pinto Counties) 1.248000, Graford ISD (Jack County parcels only) 1.11370626 / and the Hospital District 0.315000. All jurisdictions have 20% attorney fees. Early payment discount is offered by all jurisdictions EXCEPT Perrin-Whitt CISD and Graford ISD.

100 N. Main St, Room #209
Jacksboro, TX. 76458
Phone: 940-567-2352              Fax: 940-567-5322

Tax Assessor - Collector
Sharon Robinson. RTA, RTC


Chief Deputy
Gaye Low

Deputy Clerks
Ronda Lewis   rlewis@jackcounty.org
Tammy Hauger    thauger@jackcounty.org

Office Hours are Monday - Friday 8 am to 5 pm.
However, please call first, due to occasional unexpected closures

Click Below
5 Year Tax Rate History

Property Tax Search Information

It is our goal to provide accurate information and services to the citizens of
Jack County in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.

Office Operations:
Property Taxes
Motor Vehicle Registrations & Titles
Voter Registration
Beer / Wine Applications & Renewals

For Debit / Credit Card Transactions

an additional fee will apply 
Property Taxes 2.5%
Motor Vehicle 2.5%

Most Requested Motor Vehicle Forms:

All forms require original signature(s).
Some forms require notarization.

1.   Buying a Vehicle? Avoid penalties!
2.   Application for Texas Title
3.   Vehicle is a Gift
4.   Application for Farm Use Registration
5.   Disabled Person parking (plate or placard)
6.   Texas registration with out-of-state title (RPO)
7.   Affidavit of Heirship
8.   New Texas Title when owner is deceased
9.   Lost Texas title (Certified copy)
10. Young Farmer Fee Refund
11. Affidavit Of Fact
12. Bill Of Sale for a Motor Vehicle
13. Information on obtaining a farm Exempt ID number
14. Vehicle Transfer Notification
15. Rights of Survivorship on a Motor Vehicle
Motor Vehicle FAQ:
Registration FAQs
How do I register my vehicle?
Visit our vehicle registration section for instructions on registering your vehicle.
Is the vehicle registration process different for new Texans?
I am a Texan currently living out of state. How do I register my vehicle in Texas?
You must register your vehicle in the state where you currently live, unless you are a full-time student or active military member. If you are a student or active military member, contact the county tax office in the Texas county where you last resided for a registration packet.
I have not received my registration renewal notice. What should I do?

You can renew your vehicle without the renewal notice if you provide the following to your county tax office:

  • license receipt from the previous year,
  • license plate number, or
  • vehicle identification number (VIN).

Ask the county tax office to verify your correct mailing address.

We can also mail you another renewal notice if there is enough time left before your registration expires. For assistance, please call the county tax office or our customer help desk at (512) 465-7611.

I moved to another location in Texas. How can I ensure that I will receive my registration renewal notice?
When you move, it is important to change your address on your motor vehicle record. Updating your address will help ensure you receive your registration renewal notice. Failure to renew your registration is against the law and may result in a fine.
I sold my car, so why did I receive a registration renewal notice in the mail?
At the time of printing, our record still showed you as the recorded owner. If you believe the buyer of your vehicle did not transfer the vehicle title to his/her name, you may consider submitting a vehicle transfer notification. This form lets us know that you no longer own the vehicle.

You may also call our call our office at (940) 567-2352 with the vehicle identification number of the car you sold for more information.

Can I legally drive my car after the registration expires?
Yes. A vehicle may be operated up to five working days after the registration expires without penalty. After those five days, you can receive a ticket of up to $200.
Can I register or title my "pocket bike" or "toy motorcycle" (gasoline or battery-powered scooter), and drive it on the street?
Most of these vehicles do not pass a vehicle safety inspection and, therefore, cannot be registered or driven on public roads. A secure Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by a manufacturer registered with NHTSA is required to title any motorized vehicle.
What about my moped, which can pass a state safety inspection?
Your moped must be on the approved list of mopeds maintained by The Texas Department of Public Safety. The list is updated quarterly. A secure Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin is required to title any motorized vehicle.
What is the registration cost of a motor home in Texas?
For Motorhomes or passenger vehicles exceeding 6,000 lbs, the registration fee is based on weight. For more information, contact your county tax office. Proof of auto insurance is required when you register your vehicle.
Must I register/title my ATV or my off-highway use vehicle?
All off-road motorcycles and ATV's are required to be titled, but cannot be registered.
How do I register/title my boat?
Boats, boat motors and personal watercraft are titled and registered with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Closest available offices to register boats and motors is the Graham Tax Office or in the Wichita Falls Parks and Wildlife Office.
I lost my registration sticker. How do I get a new one?
You can receive a replacement sticker from your county tax office for a $7.00 fee (plus an additional $1.00, if mailed.)
I paid my registration renewal, but haven't received my sticker. What's wrong?
Registration stickers are provided and mailed by your local county tax office. Please contact your office, and provide them the vehicle identification number (VIN) and license plate number.
How do I get a copy of my registration receipt?
  • County tax office for $2.00

Title FAQs
I am new to Texas. Do I need a Texas title for my vehicle?
Why does the state show a lien on my vehicle title even though I paid it off?
We don't know your car is paid off until you submit an updated title application and title fee ($28 or $33 depending on your county) to your county tax office to have the lienholder's information removed from your title record.
I lost my title. How do I get a replacement?
Visit our lost vehicle titles page or see form #10 under Most Requested Motor Vehicle Forms list above.
How do I sell a vehicle that is titled in my ex-spouse's name but awarded to me in the divorce decree?

If the divorce decree awards the vehicle to you, give a certified copy to your county tax office and apply for a title. If the decree does not award the vehicle to you, a properly assigned title (a title where your ex-spouse signed the document over to you) will be required.

I have not received a title for the vehicle I recently bought. What should I do?
Allow 20 business days to process a title application. If you have not received your title within 20 business days, call us at (940) 567-2352. If there is a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder will receive the title.
What steps should I follow to give a vehicle as a gift?
Please give the recipient your (signed) negotiable title and request that the recipient complete a title application (form VTR 130-U), which must be provided to their county tax office.

Effective immediately, when a motor vehicle is transferred as a result of a gift, the title application must be accompanied by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Form 14-317, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer, and must be filed in person by recipient or donor. The donor and recipient must both sign the affidavit and title application. The "$10 Gift Tax" only applies to a person who receives the vehicle from a:

  • Spouse
  • Parent or Stepparent
  • Grandparent or Grandchild
  • Child or Stepchild
  • Sibling
  • Guardian
  • A decedent?s estate
  • A vehicle donated to or given by a Nonprofit IRC Sec. 501(c)(3)
On the title application, the recipient who qualifies should check the "$10 Gift Tax - Affidavit required. Use Comptroller Form 14-317." box found in Section 21. The recipient will have to provide proof of auto insurance at the county tax office to register the vehicle.
Is it true I can keep my license plates when I sell my vehicle?
The only plates that can be retained by the owner and transferred to another vehicle are personalized plates, military and specialized license plates. Disabled parking cannot be transferred.
Can I transfer my motorcycle plate?  What about my trailer plate?
No. You may only transfer plates to an eligible car or truck.
How do I provide proof of ownership of the plates that I would like to transfer?

A motor vehicle inquiry at the county.

A registration receipt in your name that shows the plate number.

Can I drive the vehicle if I'm buying from an individual (non-dealer) on a Saturday or Sunday and the seller wants to keep his/her plates?
  • If the seller chooses the recommended option of removing the license plates and registration sticker from the vehicle, you will need to download a Vehicle Transit Permit. This will allow you to legally drive the vehicle to the county tax office to transfer the title and obtain registration (license plates and sticker) for the vehicle or, if the county tax office is closed, to a place of your choice. This permit is valid for five calendar days and only one permit may be issued per vehicle sale.
  • You also have the option of moving the un-plated vehicle on a trailer (no permit required) if you need to move it prior to contacting the county.

Note: Operating a vehicle on public roadways without valid license plates and a registration sticker is against the law, and the driver is subject to fines by law enforcement.

I traded my car into a dealer, and the dealership took off the plates and sticker even though I did not want to transfer the plates to my new vehicle. Why?
That's because dealers are required to remove the plates and registration stickers from any vehicles they buy or take in trade. Dealers usually offer to give you the plates (even if you don't plan to transfer). If you don't want to use the plates again you may deface them with indelible black ink or some other method that will prevent someone else using them. Some dealers will dispose of the plates for you.
My spouse died, how do I transfer the vehicle into my name?
your spouse had a will, the vehicle becomes part of the probate process.

If your spouse did not have a will, please see #9 in the Most Requested Motor Vehicle Forms list above.

I received a violation notice (parking or toll-road) for a vehicle I sold. What do I do?
It is very important that you notify Austin of the sale of your former vehicle so they can update the vehicle record. Complete a Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification and mail it to the address on the form. When received, TXDOT will place a notation on the vehicle record indicating the vehicle was transferred and the date the transfer occurred. Your record will continue to show the seller's name until the new owner transfers the Texas Certificate of Title into their name.
What steps should I take when I sell my vehicle?

Keep your license plates and windshield sticker to protect you.

When you keep your license plates, the buyer has to transfer the vehicle title and this helps to protect you.

When you take off the plates, the buyer will need a Vehicle Transit Permit to drive the vehicle to the county tax office to re-title the car or truck.

Provide the buyer with all the documents needed to transfer the title:

  • A signed title
  • A signed vehicle title application
  • The vehicle's latest registration receipt
  • Any other supporting documents, such as a release of lien, power of attorney, etc.

    Then, accompany the buyer to the county tax office to verify the buyer files a new vehicle title application under his/her name. If you sell or trade in your vehicle to a dealer, or if the buyer can't go to the tax office, you need to notify us of the sale by filing a vehicle vehicle transfer notification within 30 days of selling the vehicle.

How does a vehicle transfer notification help me?

In order to protect yourself, it is very important that you notify us when you sell a vehicle.

After we receive and process your vehicle transfer notification, the buyer is presumed to be the new owner and may be subject to criminal and civil liability for the vehicle. For this reason, make sure to request the buyer's contact information before the sale is complete, and include this contact information on your vehicle transfer notification.

The vehicle transfer notification does not remove your name from the state's record, but the record is marked to show that you have notified us that you no longer own the vehicle. Your name will not be removed from the record until a new title is applied for and issued to the new owner.

How long does it take to process a vehicle transfer notification and update the motor vehicle record?

A receipt is issued in our office on the day the title transaction is processed. It takes 48 hours for the TXDOT database to update. A new title will be printed and mailed within 2-3 weeks after being processed in our office.

I filed the vehicle transfer notification with TxDMV, but I am still getting parking tickets/toll violations, etc. What can I do?

Provide documentation, which shows you sold the vehicle, to the ticketing agency. Documents that agencies typically accept include the following:

  • A copy of the vehicle transfer notification form you submitted to us (no fee), which you can get by completing a request for vehicle information form. After providing the required applicant and vehicle information, write "Vehicle Transfer Notification" in the "Other" line and include the month and year you sold the vehicle.
  • A "title and registration verification" ($2.30 fee) that shows the month and year the vehicle title was transferred, which you can order by completing a request for vehicle information form.

Some agencies may not accept all of the documents mentioned above, so please contact the agency that issued your citation before you request any of these documents.

I sold my car to an individual or sold/traded it in to a dealer. Why am I still shown as the owner in the state's record?

A licensed dealer is the ONLY person that can sell a vehicle to another dealer without changing the title. A dealer will change the title only when the vehicle is sold to a business or an individual. When a vehicle is sold from one individual to another, the title must be transferred within 20 working days to avoid penalties to the purchaser. Until the title work in either case is processed in our office, the original owner will remain on the State's record. It is a good idea to fill out and mail the vehicle transfer notification form when you sell your vehicle, whether it be traded or sold to a dealer or to an individual.

Property Tax FAQ:
Property Tax FAQs
I have purchased property or minerals in Jack County. How do I get the tax record in my name?
A property deed or mineral deed must first be filed in the Jack County Clerk's office. After the deed is filed, the information will be sent to the Jack County Appraisal District. It is, however, the owner's responsibility to make sure that the information gets to the Appraisal District.
How do I homestead my property?

All homestead exemptions are processed at the Jack County Appraisal District. This includes regular homestead, over-65, disability and disabled veteran homestead exemptions.

There were delinquent taxes on the property I just purchased. Who is responsible for these taxes?
All delinquent taxes stay with real property (land, homes, etc) and minerals. Personal property taxes (such as a mobile home or equipment) do not transfer to the new owner, but stay with the previous owner.
I am over 65 or disabled. Is there any information that will help me with my tax burden?
You can apply for your over-65 or disabled homestead exemption on your home. You can also sign up each January to pay your taxes under the Quarterly Installment Agreement. You will not be able to take advantage of the early payment discount, however, this option allows you to pay your taxes on your homesteaded property only in 4 equal installments. Even though your payments will go past the February 1st delinquency date, you will not pay penalty and interest unless you miss a designated payment date on that one payment. Remember, your other properties or minerals can be paid early and take advantage of the discount and will accrue penalty and interest if not paid before February 1st.
I am behind on my taxes. What can I do?
You can contact our office and request an installment payment agreement. Certain restrictions apply. The current year taxes must be paid before we will enter into a payment plan with you. If after February 1st, and all taxes are delinquent, a 20% down payment will be required. Most pay agreements are limited to 12 months.
My property or mineral account is not in Jack County. Why am I paying taxes to Jack County?
The Jack County Tax Office not only collects Jack County property and mineral taxes, but we also collect all of Perrin-Whitt School taxes. The school district lines cross over the county lines, therefore, even if your real property or mineral is located in Palo Pinto County or Parker County, but is in the Perrin-Whitt School District, you will make your payment payable to Jack County and pay it to our office.
Why do I get 2 different statements every year from Jack County tax offices?

Each year, you should get a green statement from the Jack County Tax Office and a pink statement from the Jack County Appraisal District. Our taxes (green statement) are for jurisdictions of County, County special, Faith Community Hospital, East Keechi Water district, Perrin-Whitt CISD and Graford ISD properties that are in Jack County. If you want paid receipts, you must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. The Jack County Appraisal District (pink statement) will also mail out a statement on the same properties and minerals, with the same values, but for different taxing jurisdictions.

Can I pay my taxes without my statement?
Yes. You can pay your taxes without a tax statement either by mail or in person. However, we do suggest that you either bring in your tax statement or mail a copy of the statement in order to make sure that all your taxes get posted. The statements have identifying account numbers that are unique to you and your personal accounts. We can only post by name when we are given all the correct styles that your name could be listed under. It is the taxpayers' responsibility to make sure that all the properties get posted and that nothing is missed. To avoid frustration and delinquent penalties at a later date, please make sure that you look at your receipt after payment to insure that all the taxes are posted that you intended to pay.
I have mailed my payment on the last day of the month. What amount is due?
We go by the postmarked date when paying by mail. You would pay the amount due on your statement across from the month in which you are mailing your payment. If paying in person, you would pay the amount due for that month. Payments for each month will be accepted on the following business day for any month that the last day of the month falls on a weekend.
I have moved since last tax year, how can I make sure that I receive my tax statement?
In order to receive your tax statement each year, we must have your current mailing address. If you have moved, please notify our office or the appropriate Appraisal District as soon as possible in order to get your statements to you. According to the Property Tax Code, failure to receive a tax notice does not qualify as a justifiable reason for not paying your taxes before the delinquency date.
I have questions about my minerals, who do I call?
If your questions about your minerals pertain to the taxes on the mineral accounts, you would call our office. If your questions pertain to your royalty checks or anything else about the mineral lease, you would have to contact either the operator that you signed the mineral agreement with, or contact the Railroad Commission. We do not have any information on the mineral leases other than the property tax information.
My mortgage company is supposed to pay my taxes each year. How can I be sure that my taxes are paid?

Most mortgage companies will not pay property taxes until the end of October. They will pay late in the month, but with the October postmark to insure that they receive the largest discount available. It is a good idea to call our office sometime in early November to verify that your taxes are paid. If they are not paid, you will need to contact your mortgage company. Understand that if your taxes are contracted with your mortgage company to be paid from your escrow account, the only amount you are required to pay is the October amount. If your mortgage company fails to pay on time, they are responsible for any amounts due other than the October amount.

How do I register to bid at a Tax Sale?

A person is not eligible to bid at a sale of property owned by the County or held in trust unless the county assessor-collector has issued a written registration statement to the person before the sale begins showing the bidder owes no delinquent ad valorem taxes to Jack County or any taxing unit having territory in the County.

Please fill out the following fillable form and submit to Jack County Tax Assessor/Collector to become eligible to bid:
Jack County Tax Bidder Form

Note: Open in a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader

Voter Registration FAQ:
Voter Registration FAQs
How do I contact the Voter Registration Office?
Voter Registration is part of the duties of the Tax Assessor-Collector's Office. We are located on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse (Room 209), or you may call us at 940-567-2352.
Who is eligible to vote in Jack County?

  • You must be a United States citizen,
  • Must be a resident of Jack County,
  • Must be at least 18 years to vote (17 years and 10 months of age to register),
  • Must not be a convicted felon (unless your sentence is completed, including any probation or parole),
  • Must not have been determined by a final judgement of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (a) totally mentally incapacitated or (b) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

Where can I get a voter registration application?
Voter registration applications are available in the Tax Assessor-Collector's office or online at http://www.votexas.org/register_to_vote.html. You will be asked to register to vote when you renew your driver's license. To avoid duplicated applications, if you are already registered in Jack County and your address has not changed, tell the DMV clerk that you are already registered and that you do not need to fill out a new voter application.
When will I be eligible to vote after I register?

Your voter registration application must be submitted 30 days prior to the election date for you to be eligible to vote in that election. Your voter card will be mailed to you before the 30 day waiting period is up. Once you receive your voter card, check it to make sure all information is correct. You will receive a color-coded certificate every 2 years, as long as you are eligible to vote.

How do I change my name or address on my voter certificate?
You must make any change to your voter registration record in writing. You may do so by coming into the Tax Assessor-Collector's Office and filling out a change form or you may make the changes on the back of your current voter card, signing it and mailing it to our office. The address is located on the top left-hand corner of your voter card. Any changes must be made 30 days prior to you voting in any election, or you may vote first and then fill out an statement of residence card at the polling place.
How do I get the voter registration cancelled if my family member is deceased?
You may notify the Tax Assessor-Collector's Office by phone. Or, if you received an address confirmation form, voter registration certificate or a jury summons, you may mark "deceased" on that form. You must also sign and date the form and state your relationship to the deceased person. You may return it to our office. The voter registration record can now be cancelled.
What does the term "suspense" mean on a voter record?
"Suspense" means Jack County does not have a current mailing address on a voter. A voter's name, marked with "suspense" will be removed from the Voter Registration Roll after 2 General Elections. That person will not be a registered voter at that time and will have to re-apply for voter registration. A "suspense" voter can still vote in an election if they are marked with "suspense" but have not yet been removed from the Voter Roll.
Click for Jacksboro, Texas Forecast  

Copyright 2006 - www.jackcounty.org - All rights Reserved